Adventure Camp Fund
Established for the 2018 season of Adventure Camp, the Adventure Camp Fund is for Wilderness Adventure participants who can show enthusiasm and dedication for the principles at the core of our all-outdoor wilderness program.
Adventure Camp is Great for Kids, but great guides, gear and planning can cost a lot. This is why we are establishing the Adventure Camp Fund, to generate an adequate amount of money each year through donations and the proceeds of our new Music and Adventure festival, WA Fest, that we can allot solely to making it easier for great kids to get out on trail!
- The all-outdoor expedition style program is challenging in a way that supports kids' efforts for reaching and going beyond their potential.
- Small groups create deep bonds and help individuals develop leadership skills and a strong sense teamwork. Group Life on trail also helps kids connect with each other in a natural environment without the influence or ease of phones, computers, or other devices. Proximity to caring and knowledgeable adults aged 21-27 gives kids a chance to develop a positive relationship with inspiring adult role models other than teachers or parents.
- An all-outdoor program where groups are travelling and camping in the back-country teaches kids how to take care of themselves, how to contribute to a group, and rewards every participant with a deeper sense of self and a raised level of confidence.
- By participating in activities that depend on natural land forms like mountains, rivers, rock faces, and more, participants gain a connection and appreciation for nature as well as an appreciation by distance for modern conveniences and populated areas. They learn the stewardship taught by Leave No Trace and understand why it's important for each of them to take responsibility for their environment.
How to Apply for An Adventure Camp Scholarship:
- Applicants should be between ages 8 and 17 for the summer they wish to attend camp.
- Applicants will apply for the Fund by filling out an application (coming soon) and submitting a creative display of why adventure is important for kids.
- Creative projects may be submitted as an essay, a video, or a piece of physical art (painting, sculpture).
- All Applications and Projects must be submitted by April 1, 2018
- Winners will be announced and notified on May 1, 2018.
- The selection of recipients will be made by a panel of Adventure Camp Directors and WAEL Shareholders. The amount of each scholarship will depend upon the funds raised in the previous year, evidence of need, and the quality of applications.