The best exposure to the outdoors!
1 Week Trip
The one-week classic is a tour de force of adventure activities!
This program is our tried and true wilderness adventure. By travelling with a group in the great outdoors and participating in adventure sports, you will gain an appreciation for your own abilities as well as the natural world that surrounds us. This setting and the flow of the expedition inspires leadership skills, self-confidence, and teamwork within groups.
Outdoor living is the main focus, that means sleeping in tents, cooking your meals over Whisper-lite camp stoves, bathing in creeks, using the "facili-trees" for the bathroom, and travelling from campsite to campsite under your own steam.
Some of the Activities you can expect: Camping, Climbing, Hiking, Canoeing, Natural Watersliding, Caving, Teambuilding, High Ropes, 900' Zip Line, Kayaking, and for the 14-17 group: Mountain Biking.
OVERVIEW OF ITINERARY
- Beginning participants will learn all the skills they need for their new adventure. Skills like cooking in the outdoors, setting up tents, Leave No Trace principles are all learned at the beginning of the trip.
- Middle All Activities are Instructed by experienced and well-trained Outdoor Professionals. Mountain biking, climbing, kayaking and caving are some of the activities offered. Each activity is facilitated at an introductory level and then adjusted to suit the ability and enthusiasm of the group and individuals. Prior experience with camping and swimming is encouraged but not required. For 14-17, the ability to ride a bike is strongly encouraged. Lets don't forget you will spend a great day on a natural waterslide!
- END Groups will return to Basecamp where there will join the other groups to participate in our WALYMPICS (WAEL's Olympics version). after that they will have an awesome spaghetti dinner and finally share their stories of their trip on WAEL's closing campfire.
- June 17th-23rd
- August 5th-11th
- August 12th-18th
CAMPING / BACKPACKING SKILLS
You will camp in backpacking tents, pack all your gear in one backpack, cook backpacker style meals on back country stoves, learn Leave No Trace Principles and share the accomplishments of each day with your group and leaders by the fire each night.
ADVENTURE SPORTS SKILLS
Adventure sports such as Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Mountain-biking and Caving will be teach by certified instructors that will help you develop the basic skills of each sport as well as how to apply these skills in different locations. You will do some single track mountain bike riding, climb on our climbing wall / real rock!, kayak on our pond and go to cool caves!
LEADERSHIP / COMMUNICATION
The nature of the different activities provided plus the experience of living in the outdoors for a week will develop a sense of ownership. Setting up your own tent, cooking your own meals getting out of your comfort zone will help participants develop communication skills and leadership skills.
- Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing
- Blue Springs Climbing site
- Tawneys Cave, Covington VA
- Roaring Run Falls, Botetourt VA
- Blue Springs Climbing Site
- Craig's Creek, New Castle VA
Participants will leave Wilderness Adventure with an increase sense of autonomy. Being able to leave in the outdoors for a week, carry all you need in a backpack and get out of your comfort zone with the different activities provided at WAEL will help participants to know their limits and see how much capable and how much fun and creative being in nature can be when they don't have all the usual comforts and distractions. It will also create a sense of community since every experience, meal, campfire will be shared with other participants which will be greatly transferred in a positive way on their daily life.
(Current Discount: 25% Off!)
June 17th - 23rd
August 5th -11th
August 12th - 18th
1 WEEK TRIP
Ages: 10-11, 12-13, 14-17
Camping / Backpacking
Intro in Adventure Sports
"The program I did with WAEL was the best experience of my life... I learned about myself, made lasting friendships, worked hard and was challenged, and most of all, had fun. The rigorous activities were difficult at the time, but now I look back and smile at how great it was. I will never forget the program I did with WAEL." - Brooke Simone, age 14