2014 SPECIALTY TRIP DESCRIPTIONS
Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing designed specialty trips for our campers who were looking for the next challenge. Many of our participants had started out getting comfortable with camping on our Outdoor Discovery and worked their way up to the more challenging Classic Adventure. Our specialty trips allow participants to focus on their favorite adventure activity. These trips allow them to really focus in on learning more technique, improving their knowledge, and gaining strength and ability.
All of our specialty trips are taught from a beginner level, however, if you do have prior experience, our instructors and leaders can provide special challenges just for you. With a new lower rate they are more affordable than ever. Check out the links to the specific trips below for details for just that trip or click here for our full list of dates & tuition.
- GO WITH THE FLOW- (14 days) August 3rd-16th–This all white water adventure has quickly become Wilderness Adventure’s most popular specialty trip. Spend your days basking in the sun on the New River and your nights camping out on islands along the way. For the grand finale you will get to experience Class V rafting on the premier east coast section of river known as “The New River Gorge.” Designed for ages 14-17.
- ROCK & ROLL (14 days)- June 22nd-July 5th–Back by popular demand our climbing & mountain biking hybrid trip will have participants sending & shredding (pardon our jargon) better than ever before. Friendly for both beginner and more advanced adventurers, this trip will take you all over the mid-Atlantic from the cliffs at the New River Gorge (WV) to the epic trails at Douthat State Park (VA). Designed for ages 14-17.
- ROCK & FLOW (14 days)-July 13th-26th In 2011 we had an amazing, “Eureka!” moment after we had a lot of reviews saying that people loved our Rock & Jam trip but 14 days straight of climbing can be a lot, we also had people say they love Go With the Flow but 14 days on the water is a lot. Then came the invention of the Rock & Flow, which could quite possibly be our best specialty trip yet. 7 days of climbing at the best spots on the east coast, mixed with the best river sections from our Go With the Flow trip, and you have the perfect adventure. Designed for ages 14-17.
- MOUNTAIN BIKE TRIP (7 days)-July 27th-August 2nd–Southwest Virginia is rapidly becoming a destination for mountain biking, and WAEL is right in the heart of it all. Highlights include cruising the trails at Carvin’s Cove (one of the largest trail networks on the east coast), Douthat State Park, and Pandapas Pond. Bring your riding to the next level AND learn how to tune and repair bikes for future adventures. Designed for ages 14-17.
- ROCK CLIMBING TRIP (7 days)-July 6th-26th–Have some gym experience and want to gain the skills to take your climbing outside? Seen the pros in the magazine and want to climb amidst 100+ foot sandstone crags around VA & WV? This 7 day crash course will build your confidence and teach you valuable skills so you can safely climb at any outdoor site. Belaying, mock leading, anchor building, climbing technique and perfecting the climber’s lifestyle will all be covered during this exciting course. Designed for ages 14-17.
- WILDERNESS LEADERSHIP COURSE (21 days)–July 6th-26th–Our prestigious Wilderness Leadership Course (now a 3-week program) will take all the skills you’ve learned over the years and enhance them, turning each participant into a true outdoor leader. After receiving in depth training in mountain biking, rock climbing, white water kayaking, backpacking & mountaineering, orienteering, outdoor leadership, first aid and more; participants actually take over and lead the second half of the trip. They even get to design their own menu! After the “WLC”, participants will be proficient outdoor leaders, many of whom go on to become employees at WAEL & throughout the growing outdoor industry. Designed for ages 14-17. New for 2014, our WLC will be revamped as a 3-week trip!
- LEADERSHIP TRAINING COURSE -(7 day training + summer apprenticeship) June 15th-21st–Many of our participants come back year after year as campers, aspiring to one day join the ranks of the amazing Wilderness Adventure staff. The leadership training course provides participants ages 17 and up the chance to transition with this apprenticeship program. Participants will go through a thorough one week training where they will be evaluated on their dedication and motivation. If they are deemed ready for our apprentice program then they will have the opportunity to shadow activity instructors of their choice and even potentially co-lead a summer trip.
Back by popular demand our climbing & mountain biking hybrid trip will have participants sending & shredding (pardon our jargon) better than ever before. Friendly for both beginner and more advanced adventurers, this trip will take you all over the mid-Atlantic from the cliffs at the New River Gorge (WV) to the epic trails at Douthat State Park (VA). Designed for ages 14-17.