WE ARE ROANOKE’S LOCAL ADVENTURE CAMP. SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES & KEEP WILDERNESS PROGRAMS ALIVE!
IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO HAVE THE BEST SUMMER EXPERIENCE OUT THERE, YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing is the premier adventure camp in the southeast traveling the Appalachian Mountains and on multiple rivers all over VA & WV. We are a local, family owned company that has a personal touch not offered by larger nationwide programs. However, we have grown to be a year-round Conference, Retreat & Adventure Center which allows us to have a highly trained nucleus of staff that are the best in the industry. This means that we can offer all the great activities such as rock climbing, rappelling, kayaking, caving, canoeing, backpacking, mountain biking like the big companies; but we are more like a big family than a corporation.
WAEL has been running its adventure program since 1990 and has an immaculate safety record. While we do challenging and exciting activities, it is a misconception that these activities are extremely perilous. In actuality, there is no more risk than any school extracurricular activity that students participate in on a regular basis. To speak with one of our staff members or if you would like a reference list of participants who have come to our program, feel free to call 540-864-6792 anytime.
Building Character & Confidence since 1990:
The children that come to our program come away with a sense of confidence and character that they did not have prior to their arrival. Every child is capable of completing an all outdoor adventure program, but it is up to the parent to believe in their children. It is so crucial, especially in the days of video games, cell phones, and wi-fi, that children GET OUTSIDE and see what this world has to offer. Our programs are designed to challenge children both physically and mentally, but our ultimate goal is fun, friendship and camaraderie that can only be found around a campfire and sleeping under the stars.
To learn about the founder of Wilderness Adventure and his principals of success click here. You may also go to our testimonials page to read the amazing things that participants and parents have written us over the years. We also have the longest staff training in the industry (14 days + 2 day Wilderness First Aid Course) and our highly qualified year round staff are top industry professionals. Our staff has also been nationally recognized by Outside Magazine in both 2010 & 2011. Check out this letter from a former employee!
Choose from our wide array of adventure trips for Summer 2013!
- OUTDOOR DISCOVERY CAMP - Our Outdoor Discovery Summer Camp is a gentle introduction to the great outdoors. Campers learn how to camp, canoe, cave, and rock climb plus more traditional summer camp activities including archery, soccer, kickball, and capture-the-flag. Designed for ages 8-12.
- CLASSIC ADVENTURE CAMP - Our Classic Adventure Summer Camp is where it all began. This is the original multi-sport program that allows you to experience every variety of adventure and all that nature has to offer. We now offer both 7 day & 14 day trips, however the two week trip will get to cover a lot more ground. Participants will backpack, canoe or bike to a different campsite every night and travel hundreds of miles in the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests all over VA. Designed for ages 10-17 (multiple camps for different age groups).
- SPECIALTY TRIPS- We now have more trip variety and date options than ever. Choose from a variety 14 day options that include trips exclusively for rock climbing, white water kayaking, or mountain biking. Our newest trip is the Rock and Flow, a combination of rock climbing and white water kayaking that takes participants to the New River Gorge for the second half of the trip for an adventure of a lifetime! We are also bringing back the classics with Go With the Flow and Rock & Jam.
- WILDERNESS LEADERSHIP COURSE- This prestigious, month long leadership course allows its participants to specialize and focus on all of the outdoor adventure activities we offer. After receiving in depth training in mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, backpacking & mountaineering, map & compass, outdoor leadership and tons more, participants actually take over and lead the second two weeks of the trip. They even get to design their own menu! Designed for ages 15-17.
- LEADERSHIP TRAINING COURSE - Many of our participants come back year after year as campers, aspiring to one day join the ranks of the amazing Wilderness Adventure staff. The leadership training course provides participants ages 17 and up the chance to transition with this apprenticeship program. Participants will go through a one week training where they will be evaluated on their dedication and motivation. If they are deemed ready for our apprentice program then they will have the opportunity to shadow activity instructors of their choice and even potentially co-lead a summer trip.
DAY CAMP WITH OUR PARTNERS IN ROANOKE:
Can’t commit to an overnight trip? Check out our partners at the Roanoke Parks & Rec Center. With their 5 day day camp you can explore the outdoors through hands-on nature activities and fun-filled outdoor recreation. Your child’s week will be split between nature activities like wilderness survival classes, orienteering, GPS skills and other nature lessons AND outdoor recreation like hiking, caving, water sports (canoeing, kayaking or Stand Up Paddle Boarding) and indoor rock climbing. Program meets at Norwich Venture Center (downtown Roanoke) and travels each day to a new adventure.